KNITTING GAL

April 23, 2007

Snips and snails and Irish yarn........















Joy! Joy! Joy! My yarn from Ireland arrived today. The UPS driver left it on the doorstep and knocked ever so softly on the door. I was cooking dinner in my bathrobe so I sent hubby. There it was in all it's glory, with the mailing tape announcing the box was from Blarney.com (they don't advertize their yarn but they do indeed have it). How fun.

I decided to kill three birds with one "shot" and include Oliver with the box of yarn, and Oliver with the almost finished baby hat. Quite handsome puppy eh! Someone asked where I got the pattern for the afghan from and it came from a wrapper on an old kit a patron from my library brought into me. So if you would like the pattern let me know and I will put it up on the blog. So now I can finish my afghan with all the same color lot. Color lot you say on beige colored yarn. Well this is special yarn from fluffy little Irish sheep that live on the green, green isle of Inishismore. (See photos below.) They definitely have different shades of beige. I tried to match it here in the states and it couldn't be done. I just love getting packages from Eire. It is the most magical place on earth.

I can't tell you how long it took me to get this baby hat started. Going from an I cord (did you know I cord got it's name from Elizabeth Zimmerman. She said any idiot could do it so hence I cord) to 8 stitches and then 16 stitches on size 3 needles without twisting the whole dang thing up was an exercise in patients. One I could have lived without. But the hat is sweet. So I am starting another one for a co-worker whom just became a grandmother. Too bad it is a boy as I had one for a girl almost all done. Such is life! A big hello to both my daughters whom faithfully promised to read my blog. We shall see........

4 comments:

NH Knitting Mama said...

Your dog is so cute. I like the one of him next to the hat.

I'd love to get a box of yarn from Ireland. Wish I had been a knitter when I went there in '97. Well, maybe its good for my budget that I wasn't! ha ha.

Cactusneedles said...

Great hat, great looking dog. I've never gotten anything from Ireland, and I would love to visit some day. All that green...

Anonymous said...

Hi Mommy,

I guess it is obvious now who the better of the two daughters is. I am happy to see you got your new yarn I know you have been waiting a long time for that package to arrive. Love the cute pictures of my puppy with the yarn that will soon (if not already) be in his mouth! Love you lots mom can't wait to see you this week!

Megan Powers said...

He's so sweet! The little devil.